Japan Station Forums
Maria

Tokyo to hokkaido

We plan to go to Hokkaido from tokyo by JR lines, we are arriving around 22:00 , do we have to stay overnight tokyo or we can take the overnight train, and also would like to go to Sapporo, can we use the JR pass to go and come back to Tokyo after a few days? Isort there any stops along tokyo to hokkaido? 4 of us are all seniors.

Hi Maria,

After the shinkansen line to Hokkaido opened earlier this year the overnight train has stopped operating.

If you are arriving this late it's probably best to stay overnight at the airport or in Tokyo. Next morning take the shinkansen train from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto. Hakodate is a charming city and a good location for a stop-over. The next day you can take an express train from Hakodate to Sapporo.

You can use the nationwide JR pass on all these routes: Tokyo - Hakodate - Sapporo and return.

From Tokyo to Shin-Hokodate-Hokuto is around 4 hours on shinkansen + 20 minutes local train to Hakodate.

From Hakodate to Sapporo is about 3 hours and 30 minutes by express train.

https://www.sapporostation.com/hokkaido-shinkansen-traveling-from-tokyo-to-sapporo/

hi Fenny, i am not so sure of it,  but i am sure that  you cannot buy the Shinkansen or JR line in Japan, you have to buy it in your country and have it register in Japan before using it,  before registering the tickets you have to know where to go. I hope this information will help a little.

Maria

Dear Maria 

thank you. yes i bought JR PAss from Indonesia. My JR PAss will activate on 22 Dec. 

I mean when i want to go from tokyo station to sapporo station on 26 Dec 2016, do i need to reserve the ticket again before 26 Dec 2016 ? 

Thank you

Regards

Fenny 

Hi

i have a plan to sapporo from tokyo.

my train using shinkansen from tokyo to shin hokadate will arrive at 10.59 am at arrival track no 12. Then continue using train ltd express super hukoto 9 at 11.09 am. But the problem is there is no information at hyperdia what gate depature number for departure from shin hokodate to sapporo? Is that enough time for is to change transfer train with only have a time 10minutes? And using ltd express train, do we need to make a reservation seet also? 

Thanks

eva

Hi Eva,

10 minutes should be enough to transfer from Shinkansen to Super Hokuto if you go directly to departure platform. Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station is not difficult to navigate and  transfers are very straightforward. Follow the signs "Transfer for JR Line" and check departure board for the track number. You can see what the station looks like here:  https://www.hakodatestation.com/shin-hakodate-hokuto-station/

It's a good idea to make seat reservations for the limited express train at the same time when you book your shinkansen seats.

transfer_gate.jpg