Japan Station Forums
Catherine Neoh

Narita Airport Shinkansen to Hokhaido-Sapporo

Hi, 

I am arriving Narita Airport on 18-May 2020 estimated time is 8.30am. However, I wish to continue by shinkansen train to tour and sightseeing Hokhaido for 6 days . Upon landing at Narita airport on 18-May moring, what is the schedule or timetable of shinkansen train (JR Pass) that will immediately connect me to Hokhaido on the same day. How do I get the time table. Yes, I will be purchasing the JR Pass 1 month before I depart for Japan on 18-May 2020. I need good advisce how to go about to get best Itinerary starting from arrival at Narita Airport on 18-May morning.

After touring in Hakhaido for 8 days, I will return to Tokyo on 26-May and resume spending or touring Tokyo until 29-May. and depart for home on 30-May early moring flight at 9.30am depart Narita Airport.

Thank you.

It is possible to travel from Narita to Hokkaido in one day. You will need to take Narita Express to Tokyo Station and transfer to Hokkaido Shinkansen to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto.

You can find the schedule on Hyperdia: http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_node=SHIN-HAKODATE-HOKUTO&via_node01=&via_node02=&via_node03=&year=2020&month=09&day=06&hour=09&minute=00&search_type=0&search_way=&transtime=undefined&sort=0&max_route=5&faretype=0&airplane=off&ship=off&lmlimit=null&search_target=route&facility=reserved&sum_target=7

Please note that the Shikansen arrives at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station near Hakodate city. Traveling to Sapporo takes another 3-4 hours.

Please refer to this article for more information about Hokkaido Shinkansen – Traveling from Tokyo to Sapporo

It really makes no sense to take a train that way - it would take you over 9 hours, completely murdering the day. And right after flying around the world on a long airplane trip? It defies logic. If you are already at Narita, why not fly? If you don't include the flight as part of your international ticket, there are dirt cheap airfares on ANA's Experience Japan Fare, as well as low cost carriers like Jet Star and Peach. Money is one important consideration, but so is time, if you are on a limited trip to Japan.