Japan Station Forums
Squirrel

Japan Rail Pass on Hokkaido Shinkansen

Hi Admin

I plan to buy 7 day JR Pass.

Two questions in this topic

1) As I can see the first train to depart from Hakodate Station to Tokyo is 0601, may I know what time does the station open at Hakodate?

And with all the reservation of seats to be done during the said time, I am only apprehensive if timing is a constraint? Or reservation can be made night before?

2) Upon reaching Tokyo, and example using the JR lines to reach different station, how do we use? Apologies, my mindset is long journey I can understand the concept. But for short stops example Tokyo Station to Asakusabashi Station, is the concept the same?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Rgds

RY

Hi Raymond,

1. The stations usually open about 30 minutes before the first train. Reservations can be made anytime after you activate your rail pass. Making a reservation the night before is probably a good idea.

2. In Tokyo you can use a JR Pass on any JR lines (not subway or other private lines). There is a map of all JR lines in Tokyo in this article: https://www.japanstation.com/japan-rail-pass-discounted-travel-on-japan-railways/

To use your Japan Rail Pass, simply present it to JR staff at ticket gates. Do not go through automatic gates, go to the manned counter.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:07 AM, kikukat said:

Is there an office in the Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station where I can activate my JR voucher for a rail pass?  I would like to take the Shinkansen to somewhere on Honshu.

You can activate your JR Pass at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station JR Ticket office (open every days from 9:00 to 19:00)