Japan Station Forums
Leo

JR Kansai Area Pass practical?

Hi~ I am arriving and leaving at Kansai Airport. My hotel is in osaka. I am spending 4 days in the Kansai area, making one-day trips to Himeji and Kyoto, maybe also Nara, leaving me one or two days for Osaka. My question is would buying the JR Kansai Area pass (4 days) be practical and money saving? Or I should use other options? Thank you for your help in advance~~~

Thank you for your answer, it’s very helpful~ May I ask another question - do u have any information about the Kansai Thru Pass and how it compares to the JR Kansai Area pass? They seem to cover the same area with different railway companies. Is one better than the other?

Both passes offer unlimited travel within a limited time period. The coverage area is similar, but Kansai Thru Pass covers multiple railway companies (excluding JR), local subways and buses. Selecting which pass is better for you really depends on where you are planning to stay, using local transport, etc.

Traveling from Kyoto or Osaka to Himeji is probably easier on JR: https://www.kyotostation.com/jr-kyoto-line-for-osaka-sannomiya-himeji/

Thank you for your help again! I ended up buying a 3-day Kansai Thru Pass for a Osaka-Himeji-Kyoto trip. It was great, particularly because it includes all the local subway so there was no need to keep buying subway tickets. Hope this helps others too.

• Like 1