Japan Station Forums
chilly

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya

Hi there,

My destination is Nagoya. If I take Narita express to Tokyo station and then take Shinkansen bullet train to Nagoya. 

1)Can I use JR pass for hikari or kodama train (understand jr pass not available for Nozomi train) ? If not available for Jr pass, how much for the cost

2)Starting may 2020, if I have bigger luggage, I have to make seat reservation. Do I need to pay extra cost if using Jr pass? If yes, can go to jr ticket office for exchange ticket and pay seat reservation cost? 

After traveling Nagoya, I will be go to Yokohama, osanbashi pier. 

3) can I take Shinkansen bullet train and stop at shin-Yokohama station and take metro to Osanbashi pier?

4) do I need to reserve the seat as well. 

Thanks

Hi,

1. Yes. But don't take the Kodama - it stops at every station, and will take you nearly an extra hour.

2. If too big, you can't bring it at all. More info is here. Making seat reservations with the full JR Pass is free. Another option is sending your bags by a luggage forwarder

3. Yes, but the subway is not covered by the pass.

4. Generally no, except for the luggage issue you raised as well as during peak travel seasons (end/start of the year, Golden Week, etc).