Japan Station Forums
travelingmama

train kyoto-tokyo Jan 1

HI - we are planning to travel from Kyoto to Tokyo to catch a flight to Chicago departing at 6:45pm. Does anyone know if the trains run from Kyoto on Jan 1? And if so, is there a limited schedule and should we purchase tickets and reserved seats ahead (I am thinking yes), and if, so, what is the recommended  best was to do so? Thanks so much!

The trains run all day on January 1st. The few days around the New Year are a busy travel season in Japan.

The tickets go on sale one month in advance. You can make reservations at any JR ticket office in Japan. We recommend booking your tickets with reserved seats as early as possible after your arrival in Japan.

If you are from: United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia or Thailand you can also use this app to make reservations online in advance: https://smart-ex.jp/en/

Hello! This is great news. I am from the US, so does that mean that I do not need to be in Japan to reserve the seats? Can I also print the tickets after I make the reservations, and do I need to come to a ticket office in Japan to exchange whatever I print out as a reservation for actual tickets? Thank you so much!