Japan Station Forums
Shirley

ICOCA Card or Kansai Thru Pass

HI,

i will be in kyoto for 1.5 days before heading back to osaka to continue my trip.

I'm puzzling which is the best option icoca card or kansai thru pass to get when i reach kyoto. as both like about the same. 

I'm heading to Fushimi Inari  Shrine in morning from kyoto station by Jr nara line to Inari Station

follow by walking to keihan railway  (Fushimi-Inari Station to Gion-Shijo Station)Taking city bus 207 to Kiyomizu-michi stop  walk to Kiyomizudra Temple

Back to opp bus stop take 207 to  alight at Kawaramachi stop walk to Nishimi Market.

After that either take kawaramachi station(hankyu kyoto line)  to (or walk to) Kawasuma  station interchange to shijo station (karasuma subway line)back to kyoto station

2nd day (half day to bamboo forest) 

Kyoto station to saga Arashiyama station JR local line. > back to kyoto station.

for Osaka,

i will be plan to go the nissin cup museum, osaka castle, (might plan in Nara park if time permit). and the rest will be shopping eating..

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Shirley

Kansai Thru Pass covers most local trains, subways and buses, but not JR Lines. It offers unlimited rides for a fixed price for fixed amount of time.

ICOCA IC card can be used on any transportation system. It's like a debit card. You make a deposit and then every time you tap the card a fare is deducted from the balance, and you can add more funds to the card whenever you want.

Because you are planning to use various transportation systems, including JR, ICOCA is probably the better option for you.

More information about ICOCA and IC Cards: https://www.japanstation.com/japans-prepaid-transportation-cards-ic-cards/

Kansai Thru Pass: http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html