Japan Station Forums
Eddy S Basjir

Hokuriku Area Pass valid 4 days

I am going from Kyoto station to Kanazawa station

I owned Hokuriku Area Pass valid for “non reserve seat” , thunderbird train and starting from Tsuruga until Kanazawa only instead of starting from Kyoto station.

Therefore I need to buy a ticket at Kyoto Station for my journey from Kyoto to Tsuruga.

I will use my ticket (kyoto-tsuruga) to enter the gate at kyoto station and continue with the same train (unreserved seat) until Kanazawa. When I arrive at Kanazawa, I will use my Hokuriku Area Pass to exit the gate.

My question is:

can I stay in the same train without “exit the gate at Tsuruga and enter again using my pass” to continue my journey to Kanazawa?

Appreciate your help

When you enter ticket gates for the first time using your pass it gets stamped. If you use a regular ticket at Kyoto station, remain on board at Tsuruga and exit at Kanazawa you may be questioned why you don't have a stamp. Keep the Kyoto to Tsuruga ticket in case of any questions. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you can show the Kyoto to Tsuruga ticket.

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I will buy a regular ticket for non reserve seat for my journey from Kyoto to Tsuruga. For the remaining journey to Kanazawa, if it is asked by train conductor on board, I will show my Hokuriku Area Pass. 

When I arrive in Kanazawa, I think, I should use manual gate to exit and show my Hokuriku Area Pass. I don’t need to exit from machine gate and just keep the regular ticket (kyoto-tsuruga) with me.

Need your help to confirm if my understanding in second paragraph is correct.

Again thank for your help.

Hello Japan Station Forum,

Need further help on Hokuriku Area Pass. I plan to go from Toyama to Takayama. Can I ride the Wide View Hida limited express with this Pass? 

I understand this Pass valid for the journey from Toyama to Inotani only. If I allowed to ride the Wide View Hida Ltd Express, can I pay the fare from Inotani to Takayama when I arrive in Takayama station?

Again thanks for your help

Regards, Eddy

Hello there,

The Wide View Hida between Toyama Station and Inotani Station is covered by the Hokuriku Area Pass. You can pay the rest of the fee (2,150 yen for a non-reserved seat) at the Takayama Station as well.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,